Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Sock Discovery

Sockapalooza 4 is underway!


I've emailed my recipient, and can't wait to go shopping for the perfect yarn! She likes self-striping superwash, and red, blue or purple, so it narrows down the selection quite a bit. I'm thinking maybe Trekking? Step? I can't really think of anything else. I may have to shop online.

My "sock pal" has emailed me from London, England! She said that she will be going through my blog to figure out the perfect yarn for me, so I decided to look back at what I've made to see if it's an acurate portrayal of my taste, and I made an interesting discovery.

These are the socks I've knit:
The solid coloured socks on the top row I love. I rarely wear them because I like them so much I don't want them to get worn out. Weird, huh?
The vegregated socks on the bottom row...well...I rarely wear them as well, because the colours aren't exactly subtle. I think they're pretty, but just not on my feet.
Here is my sock yarn stash:
Solids:



Vegregated:

The vegregated yarns are arranged such that the one I like most is at the right, and the least favourite at the left.
Notice anything? The coloured socks I've knit are very similar to the skeins on the left.
Why is that? I think it's because I find the Yarn Pirate and Koigu so beautiful, I don't want to screw it up! I would rather keep them in my closet, and every once in a while take them out to admire their colours.
So here is what I discovered about myself: I love sock yarn, I love to knit socks, but I don't knit socks out of yarn that I love. Yeah, you can say it. Very weird.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! That's useful! I had an idea of what to pick out for you but seeing your stash helps ;)

Sockapalooza Pal xx

~Susie~ said...

wow I am the same way! I love buying or should I say 'collecting' beautiful sock wool,but to knit with it?
Thanks for sharing a peek of your stash,you have some really pretty wool there!

Monika said...

I have several pairs of socks in a drawer, packed away as well. I love them too much to wear them. You are NOT weird, unless I'm too. I have a bag of Koigu and other wonderful sock yarn, just waiting for god knows what. I like to knit socks with slightly less liked yarn as well, but I have so much of it, there are not many I don't like. All your socks are beautiful so far! Enjoy them, and enjoy knitting new ones, but once in a while,knit some with yarn you love!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sock yarn adn the socks you've knited are fantastic. I'd wear all of them, even the bright ones. But I quite like bright socks. I've got some Sisu that looks exactly like yours. I've never knitted socks from Koigu though. Knitted a pair of hand warmers from Koigu KPPM and it was gorgeous yarn. My ocnclusion is there is just too much gorgeous sock yarn out there. And I'm buying far too much of it. I'll be knitting socks till I'm over 100 at this rate. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I love your stash! My favorites are still the Goosebumps. Love those!

Diana said...

Your sock gathering looks great! I've knit lots of socks too and have a pile in need of darning so yes, they do wear out and rather fast I think. Do you carry along a sock reinforcing thread? I think it's a must after my experience. Maybe even with socks that already have nylon content just to be safe!

Bianca said...

WOW! I would know what to pick for sure...LOL! Good luck hunting for your sock pal's sock yarn!

knitlit kate said...

your sock collection is impressive! i can never seem to get past sock #1!