Sunday, April 8, 2007

Spring, Where Are You?

Boy, it sure is cold! The kids and I took a field trip to a maple syrup festival at a nearby conservation park. I don't know what I was thinking, taking them out in that weather. It was so cold and windy that your skin hurt. Here is my poor Grace, trying to put on a happy face:


I've started my Sea Silk scarf for the scarf exchange:
I settled on a flame pattern from the Barbara Walker 2nd Treasury (that book is so awesome!). This yarn is so soft and shiny, and the colours are very rich and complex.
I definitely want to make something for myself out of this. It would have to be something for special use only, though, because this yarn just seems so fragile. Maybe I'm just not used to silk. I found the same probem in my yarn that I read about in Knitter's Review. The yarn had little, white pills throughout, that were very noticable against the dark blue. It gave the scarf an old and used look, and some were a little difficult to remove. There are so many that for now I'm just leaving them, and I'll deal with it when I'm done. Oh well, I'm sure the end result will be worth the extra work.

4 comments:

~Susie~ said...

I have some of that sea silk just waiting for the 'right' project.Your scarf looks wonderful.
have you seen the fleece artist new sock wool? It has wool/seacell in it..can;t wait to get some.

Michelle said...

Hi Susie! Yes, I've seen the new sock wool! I'm itching to get my hands on it! It's a little thicker than normal sock yarn, so I'm thinking of using it for a scarf because it's so soft!

Poethead said...

Breathtaking. . .

~Susie~ said...

michelle,
you can get some of that sea wool sock yarn at lettuce knits..I am waiting and waiting for a free time to get to Toronto to get it!