Friday, April 13, 2007

My Dilemma

After this past Christmas, I had promised myself that I wouldn't knit any more for family. I was quite hurt with all the unappreciative responses I got from my gifts.

So here is my dilemma: Mother's Day is quickly approaching. If I see my mom on Mother's Day without a gift, she wouldn't say anything, but I know she will be upset. If I purchase a gift for my mom, she will instantly be upset with me, telling me that I've wasted my money and that she has no need for anything. If I knit her a gift, she will also get upset, telling me I've wasted my time (and money on yarn), and might even give a ho-hum response to the gift to show her disapproval. Seriously, I can't win.

So faced with the three choices of 1. give nothing and she'll get mad, 2. buy something and she'll get mad, or 3. knit something and she'll get mad, I'm going with number 3.

With $12 worth of Elann Baby Silk, I think it's the best choice.



Swallowtail shawl started:



When my daughter gets a bit older, I'm going to devote all my time and energy into teaching her to knit, and I will love and cherish whatever she knits for me!

5 comments:

Monika said...

You have a mother who's hard to please! I'm teaching my daughter how to knit right now. She knew the basics, but I can help her with problems which will arise. I think it's important to be able to receive gifts gracefully.

Kathy... said...

I wish my daughter (27 yrs old) had an interest - but does not! I have taught several of her friends to knit , however! To each their own, I guess.

I cannot imagine that your mom would not love your gift. She just may not be able to express it.

Thanks for the lovely sock patterns. You are very generous in sharing them. I plan on knitting some of the little girl's lacy socks - so pretty!!

Knitting in Pink said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with such a dilemma. I do hope she loves the shawl even if she doesn't show it.

ravelling said...

I can identify with your experiences. I only give handknits to people I know will appreciate them now. I found your blog when looking for scarves knit in Sea Silk. Yours looks lovely.

msubulldog said...

I'm so sorry your holiday knitting went unappreciated! How disappointing and frustrating. :(
At least with this shawl, you'll be giving her a gift that has lots of love (and work!) behind it, but uses inexpensive yarn--so you can get around the "wasting money" argument. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! *It's beautiful already, by the way. :)