Monday, June 18, 2007

Speedway Socks

I hope everyone had a great week-end! Last night we went to my aunt's home for a nice Father's Day dinner. My grandmother is visiting from Hong Kong, so we had some fantastic Shanghainese cooking. I really regret not learning to speak Chinese when I was little. I can only speak Cantonese at a child's level, so I can't really communicate in detail. All of my grandparents are still alive, but I really don't know them very well. Any traditions or wisdom they have won't be passed on, and that's really sad! I tell my husband that we should all take lessons together as a family.

My Speedway Socks are complete. I really liked this pattern; the design is very clean and classic. The sock fits perfect with a little tugging (not as tight as Jaywalkers). My Sockapalooza recipient's feet are larger than mine, so I'm still looking for something a little more stretchier. If I don't, then I'll use this pattern with more ribbing squeezed in.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look great! I am halfway though your socks - I think you'll like them!

Sockapalooza Pal xx

Anonymous said...

The socks look great, Michelle! I wish you had learned to speak Chinese. That's too bad. You should talk to your grandparents and see what you can learn about your heritage.

Tammy said...

Very cute!

Monika said...

My children can still talk our first language, but they have trouble reading it already, and they don't understand everything the relative say anymore, because it's some dialect they speak. IT's a shame really. Your socks look wonderful. I like chevron's a lot and with the ribbing in between (which is a great idea) it's not so tight.

Anonymous said...

Just seen you Speedways on SAM3. they look fantastic in that yarn.

Bobbisox said...

About the language, you can still learn, and get the kids the dvd's that are age appropriate for them. While speaking with my sister today who just flew to my brothers' from Italy, I heard my 3 year old nephew laughing and talking. She said he is learning to speak, I think, Mandarin, but it could have been Cantonese. My sister in law was brought up to speak to her mother in only Chinese but somehow doesn't speak it unless it only to her mom. My sisters boys learned English concurrantly with Italian in Italy. You will be so happy to have them speak their grandparents language and will honor them also.