Saturday, September 1, 2007

Michelle's Intarsia Method

Here's a little tutorial for those who have never tried intarsia:

Row 1: Work according to pattern, adding colours on bobbins when necessary.

Row 2: Work according to pattern, crossing yarns at colour changes to prevent gaps. Occasionally knit using the tail end, not the bobble end.

Row 3: Work according to pattern, noticing screw-ups with tail ends. Rip back to previous row and fix mistakes.

Row 4: Work according to pattern, this time tangling all bobbins into one unfixable knot. Use scissors and cut yarns at random.

Row 5: Gently put down work, and walk away slowly. Make yourself some tea and take some deep breaths. Do not pick up knitting for at least several hours.

Repeat rows 2-5 until chart is completed.

7 comments:

km said...

That's too funny. I'm sure it was frusterating for you. But, it makes me feel better, since I know that will probably be my result when I attempt intarsia.

Angela said...

I can't quite tell, but I'm going to go with the Transformers icon.

~A

Wendy said...

That sounds so familiar! Last time I did a complicated intarsia design it was a tractor on a jumper for my godson and it took forever as I was stopping every other row to untangle all the ends!

marit said...

Thanks for the tutorial- I needed that laugh today! Hopefully everything is untangled by now:-) Have a nice week.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I made that too! The mess, that is! Intarsia makes me a nervous wreck, and that picture shows exactly why.

susubee said...

I think that is possibly the best intarsia tutorial I have ever read! It sums up my limited experience with this technique very nicely - a technique, I'll add, that I learned, accomplished, and vowed never to do again if at all possible.

Your work looks lovely thus far, though, despite the headaches ;)

becky c. said...

You are having way too much fun - NOT!