Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hello, hello!

So sorry for the lack of posts lately. It's been a very busy time, with homeschooling, lots of guests visiting, and recovering from our first "family" cold of the season. The weather here has cooled down quite a bit, which has made me want to knit so much more, but I've actually done very little in the last while. I did, however, finished the Tilted Duster, and have worn it a few times already.




The Peace Fleece is a very rugged and warm. It's quite a unique yarn. If you don't know the story behind it, the description from their site says, "A yarn company committed to helping historic enemies cooperate and prosper through trade." The wool is a blend of Russian, Romanian, American, Israeli and Palestinian wools. It's 70% wool and 30% mohair, and has lots of depth in its' colouring.


One thing I recommend is that you wash the yarn in wool wash before you knit. It's quite harsh on the hands, and there is lots of prickly plant matter mixed in. After you wash it though, it becomes very soft.
I knit the size small, with a couple of modifications. I cast on the large size sleeve cuffs, because I didn't want them to be as fitted as the magazine photo. I also had some trouble with the collar. The pattern said to knit a 5" collar; I followed the instructions and blocked the sweater. When I went to try it on, the top of the collar reached my ears. I wish I took a photo because it looked really ridiculous. Perhaps I stretched it too much during blocking, or perhaps the model in the magazine has an inhumanly long neck, I don't know. Anyways, I reknit the collar, and made it about 3 1/4", which turned out great. Because it's more shallow, I had to omit the first inside button. I love this sweater, and I'm certain it's gonna get lots of use this season!
I'm now off to check my blog reader. I haven't read any blogs in almost a week, so I can't wait to see what all of you have been up to!

14 comments:

Tammy said...

I've been anxious for you to finish this. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sweater you've made; fabulous fit too!

Virtuous said...

It looks lovely!! It is perfect for the fall!

Thanks for your tidbits about the duster!

Monika said...

Michelle, this cardigan turned out great! It looks much better on you than the model in the magazine! I love the color AND the ruggedness of the yarn. Great job! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Michelle, you've done a wonderful job on this. It looks perfect on you. The first thing I thought, was what Monika said, "It looks better on you, than on the model in the magazine." I was wondering about the Peace Fleece for this garment, and it worked out well! Fantastic job!

km said...

You did a fantastic job on the sweater. I know fall is just around the corner here too. I better pick my vest back up...or I won't be wearing it. I'm glad you'll get lots of wear from this sweater...our cool season isn't very long.

Unknown said...

Outstanding! Much nicer than the magazine shots.

Octopus Knits said...

Lovely!

marit said...

It looks great!

Kelley said...

That's a gorgeous sweater! (And I love Peace Fleece :-)

becky c. said...

That sweater is beautiful and looks great on you! Guess I need to add it to my Ravelry queue!

Shar said...

It looks great! I've been contemplating this one. So far, all that I've seen look good.

babette said...

Oh it is just gorgeous!!!! You are a very fast knitter that would have taken me months and months!

Kathy... said...

Michelle,

Your sweater is gorgeous!! And, to let you know, I am going to knit one too - for my daughter. She wants Charcoal, and the yarn is on order. Hope mine (hers) comes out as nice as yours did. Great job!!

Seems so fast - how long did it take you??