Monday, November 26, 2007

Real Snow

It's been a chilly week, because we finally got some real snow. Real snow is defined in our home as enough snow on the ground to play in. Here's a pic from about a week ago:


Of course the kids were so happy. I was kinda hoping winter would mysteriously pass us by this year. If my husband walked in the room this very moment and told me we were moving permanently to Hawaii or Florida or California, I'd run upstairs and start packing!
I've had to rethink Christmas gifts this year, because my desire to knit hasn't really come back. I'm going to knit my mom some gloves, a scarf for an aunt, and a dog sweater, and that's it. That seems like a reasonable list to accomplish.
I finished my aunt's birthday socks, though a little late. This is the second time I knit the Embossed Leaves pattern from Favourite Socks, which I really like.

The yarn is Lana Grossa Meilenweit Marmi in Lime, and I chose this one because it can be both machine wash and dry. The yarn was pretty thin, so I used 2.25mm and did four repeats on the leg and 3 on the foot, switched to 2mm and did 1.5 more repeats. This made an 8.5" sock.
I blocked the socks with blockers I cut out of dollar store plastic place mats:
There is a shape template on this tutorial, but I just free handed mine. I will definitely be making more of these!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Cute socks.. and very clever blockers!

Kathy... said...

We've had one snowfall, with another expected soon. Sofee is looking at the travel brochures again!!

Love the socks - I have made the pattern twice also. And the blockers - what a great idea!

The "ticker" is great fun! I'll be watching that one for sure.... so happy for you!
k