Saturday, October 6, 2007

Need some help, please!

I started the colour part of Road to Golden over again. It wasn't because I didn't like the purple and green (it actually grew on me; reminded me of irises), but because I realized I wouldn't have enough yarn. Now I'm using pink and green. Aside from some 2-colour mitts, I don't have any other stranding experience, so I need a little help.

This is the beginning of the round:



and this is what it looks like when I gently stretch it:



Is it supposed to look so messy? Am I doing something wrong?

When I start a new row, I lay the unused yarn across the working yarn, and it gets picked up. Am I supposed to give the yarn one full twist instead? Check out this join. Mine looks
nothing like that:



If anyone has any tips or advice, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My stranding looks like yours, and I don't think it's supposed to. I'm not that experienced, so I'm not one to give any help. I was going to suggest KnittingHelp.com I know there're a section on there, with a video, for Fair Isle Knitting. Good luck. I'll be checking on you!

km said...

Your colors look great. When I add a new color, or change rows, I give a full twist. I saw a video somewhere but I can't remember where. I've been using this method when changing skeing of yarn too...and it leaves less ends to weave in.

Heather said...

I love the color choices for this project. I'm not going to be much help but when you find out can you let us know?

By the way you have been tagged, check out my blog to see the rules. Hope that you don't mind.