Friday, October 12, 2007

Jailbird

I'm quite pleased that I was able to fix the long, lost Jailbird sweater into something wearable, without ripping the whole thing to pieces.


I knit a new neckband. I undid the side seams, and lengthened the front and back by about 4 inches. Then I seamed the sides back up, but at where I wanted the measurements to be and not at the edges. All the excess fabric on the inside I steamed flat, and you can't tell from the outside.

The wool is Patons Classic Merino. A little pilly, but soft and cheap.
I also finished a Sidekick Squatty in one evening.
I used two balls of Patons SWS in Geranium, and followed modifications from here. This was my first time felting, and I did it by hand in a tub of hot water. What a great way to get a good arm work-out! I was so surprised at the amount of shedding. Do you remember reading on Yarn Harlot's blog a while ago that she had to replace her washer because of felting? After seeing all that lint, I totally believe her!

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Very nice work! I bet it feel good to finish a long lost wip!

Kathy... said...

WOW! I am back from vacation, and trying to catch up on blogs. You have been VERY busy!!

Congrats on revamping your "jailbird" sweater. It's really cute now! I am just not that ingenious -- I could never accomplish such a feat!

marit said...

Your sweater looks great on you! And it is a really cute handbag too. I've done quite a bit of knitting and felting- it is something the kids enjoy too- but I felt in the washingmachine...

msubulldog said...

The sweater looks great! You did a fabulous job of refashioning it to fit you. Kudos! :)

Monika said...

Your Jailbird fits great now, I hope you'll enjoy wearing it! The bag is very cute! I have a lot of this yarn at home, not a fan of it though.

Anonymous said...

So glad you "pardoned" Jailbird. The rehanbilitation was a complete success ;)
Cheers

Susan Pandorf said...

You've been a busy girl!

Lots of great projects. Lovely work.

Blessings!